We have simplified our granting process by combining Community Grants, Quick Response, and LIFT grants in to one fund. You can still apply for projects that usually sit within one of these funding streams; all applications will go through one simplified application form.
Please note the current criteria. Our key focus is to enable those communities most impacted to get funding more quickly and easily.
Responding to feedback and ideas we received from comprehensive consultations we undertook in 2018, Wellington Community Trust is delighted to offer the LIFT Grants, aimed at enhancing capability throughout the not for profit sector in our region.
LIFT is a spend down fund to support the professional development and capability of the not-for-profit sector in the wider Wellington region over the next 3-5 years.
Offered in 2019, with up to $300,000 on offer in the first year, the WCT Board intend to provide the fund annually over the next 3-5 years.
Any staff member of an organisation or an organisation that is eligible for WCT funding under our current eligibility criteria can apply for these funds. Applicants who have been successful in gaining a Community Grant or a Quick Response Grant in the same financial year may still apply for a LIFT Grant.
Up to $5,000 per individual and up to $10,000 per organisation
Individuals: Any professional development to assist with the capability building of an individual staff member (or members) within an organisation. Funding can be used towards a range of capability building activities including (but not limited to): a tertiary qualification; for a short course; external professional supervision; travel to, and attendance at, a conference; or for travel within NZ or overseas to look at a specific programme or activity that Wellington could benefit from.
Organisations: Any group professional development activity or capability building activity that an organisation may undertake. Funding could be used towards group training on a specific issue (eg trauma informed practice); group Te Reo classes for an organisation, governance training for an organisation’s board; or for organisation to develop its capability as a whole, for example a workforce development plan or a strategic planning day.
For individuals applying
- These grants must be to support individuals within their current workplace and be used to develop them in their current role.
- The individual must work in the Wellington region. (see our boundaries here)
- Individuals applying must have support of direct line manager and workplace must provide time off (preferably paid) for the individual to undertake the professional development.
- Funding cannot be used to backfill the staff member who is undertaking the professional development.
- Funding cannot be used for courses already undertaken.
- One application per organisation per year, this application, however, can be used to support up to three staff members.
- Funding can be used to support two or more professional development opportunities for an individual or individuals.
- Funds will only be paid to legally constituted organisations.
- No funds will be paid directly to individuals or to the institutions they will undertake their professional development with.
- The organisation that the individual works in when applying must meet WCT’s eligibility criteria.
- An individual who has applied successfully once, cannot apply again within a 12-month timeframe.
For organisations applying:
- These grants must be to support organisations to develop their capability at an organisational level.
- These grants can be used for developing an organisational strategy or response to an issue, for governance development and support or for whole of organisation development through training.
- These grants can’t be used for mediation, or conflict resolution within an organisation.
- Organisations must meet WCT’s eligibility criteria.
- Organisations can be in receipt of a current WCT grant (either Quick Response or Community Grants) and still be eligible for a LIFT Grant.
- Priority will be given to organisations that have less than 6 month’s operating reserves on their balance sheet
- Organisations can only receive one LIFT Grant per year.